Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart.
He who looks outside, dreams. He who looks inside, awakens. Carl Jung

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Letting Go

 

1004000723

 

You can clutch the past so tightly to your chest that it leaves your arms too full to embrace the present. 

~Jan Glidewell

It occurred to me recently that this past year has personally been full of change and good-bye’s. As I experienced yet another bittersweet moment I thought about how even positive change brings some measure of stress and sense of loss;  loss of the familiar, loss of comfort and sometimes loss of someone close.  And in this past year I’ve really not taken time to honor those feelings, experience them and allow myself to move forward. 

Write about changes you’ve experienced, how they’ve impacted you and give yourself permission and space for grieving, nurturing and letting go.

7 comments:

  1. Last year, my oldest son married, we moved our family out of state (away from oldest son) and my FIL died. It has been a year difficult to let go, but God is slowly prying my fingers loose from the past to embrace the present and future. Grieving, handling changes and challenges is not for the faint-hearted! Your quote was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year I entered into a new love relationship that is changing my life journey in all sorts of ways. Chang has not always been easy, yet this new engagement and openness to relationship has been pretty easy sailing. I am amazed with the amount of healing and openness and delight I have been experiencing through this new relationship the last six months.

    Also this being my Daughter's last year of High School and the change in thought process and outlook to the future journey for my Daughter as well as myself can be breath taking ... Yet with grace and peace and surrender (Letting Go) all is so much easier to accept and open to just continuing the awesome journey in which My Daughter and I are on each and everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great reminder you've put in this post: that even good change still leaves a bit of loss in its wake. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very astute post. I believe the only constant in life is change, so I've learned to roll with it. That doesn't mean I enjoy it, but if you believe everything happens for a reason, it helps.
    Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The biggest loss in my life happened five years ago, when my mother (Alzheimer's) moved in with me. Two years later my mother-in-law (dementia) moved in too. From professional, independant woman, I was transformed into a caretaker. I am still grieving the loss of my life as I knew it and struggling deeply with acceptance of this new lifestyle. It's been quite a journey. But, most days I try to extract the inherent joy of living.

    If there is one thing we can count on it's impermanence. Thanks for letting me vent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The loss of my father in law last March... still trying to adjust to our new life without our patriarch; it's been a challenge yet we know he left deep foundation in us. Covering and following his footsteps is now our daily adventure - to re-invent and enhance his ways making sure we are honoring his example.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such heartfelt comments ~ thank you all for stopping by and sharing!

    ReplyDelete

What's your truth?